Minnesota Trappers Association
District 1 Reports
Welcome to District 1's new Directors...
Convention 2021 at Barnum...
A reminder that we are hosting the 2021 Convention in Barnum on July 29-31 (Thurs-Sat). Camping is available on site for $35 for electric and water, $25 for primitive; for the whole weekend. The General Meeting is at 3pm Saturday with the Benefit Auction following and closing with the Raffle Drawing at 6pm.
Our district meeting will be on Saturday at 8am in front of the MTA booth/northeast corner of the horse arena.
Trappers Education certification phone calls came pouring in last November; too late and too many. This can be fulfilled at the convention. There is a field day class scheduled on August 14th in Little Falls and Bert Highland & Frank Brula are in the process of setting one up in September on the Iron Range.
I am in need of volunteers for the following:
- Tuesday (7/27) at 9am to set up the vendor tables inside
- Wednesday (7/28) evening for general set up
- Saturday (7/31) for the benefit auction immediately following the General Meeting
- Sunday (8/1) 7:30 am for tear down. This is a responsibility of our district as host and where a large turnout can make short work of things.
- -throughout the convention those in charge of different areas will need help or a break from their posts. An example would be Bill Rebarich and Paul Zeiroth in Camping. We do not have gate or booth duties assigned when we are the district hosting, so if you only have an hour or two consider this.
- -in addition I need an outgoing person willing to solicit donations for the benefit auction from the vendors and serve as a collection point for the donated items from members.
Please contact me if you are willing to help out.
District 1 Director
Summer 2021 Report:
My spring beaver trapping was short lived with only a few days open on my schedule. I only set areas where people had contacted me to remove beavers. I was pleased with several dark blankets and a true black on the first check. A good year to keep those pelts for myself in this market. As a matter of fact, I kept all of them from the first week. I notice the winter pelt does not last long after the ice goes out.
On a personal note, I am retired as of June 1st and look forward to running long lines this fall for the first time. This also frees up some time to devote to the Association. One of the things I have desired to do is continue to meet with trappers in the corners of this huge district. Along those lines, District 1 will have a social and informational gathering up the shore of Lake Superior on June 26, 9-11am. We will be at the pavilion at Grandview Park in Lutsen Township.
Work on lining up the convention for July is progressing well. In a few short months from this writing, we will be there. Looking forward to the smells and sights of a convention again, and the evening campfire comradery. July 29-31 in Barnum; don’t miss it.
Co-Director Paul Zieroth
Summer 2021 Report
I hope everyone had success trapping beaver this spring. I didn't see the number of trappers out this spring as I did last year, but there were still a few. I did make several property owners happy by removing nuisance beaver, some were owners of hunting property, but I got more requests this spring from people living on the edge of Duluth. I'm working on putting away traps and equipment from the season and making a shopping list for the convention in Barnum; bait, lure, replacement body grip triggers and maybe more beaver footholds. If you can donate a few hours to help at the convention it is greatly appreciated, please contact John or myself. For the trappers along the North Shore there will be a small get together on Saturday June 26th in Lutsen from 9-11 am, see John's report for location. Enjoy your summer it sounds like MOST covid restrictions will be lifted by convention time.