Minnesota Trappers Associaton
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Location: American Legion in Brainerd, MN
Date: October 5th, 2019 at 9:00 A.M.
Board of Directors Meeting called to order at 9:00 A.M.
- Vice President
- District 1 Director and Co-Director
- District 2 Director and Co-Director
- District 3 Director and Co-Directors
- District 4 Director and Co-Director
- District 5 Director and Co-Directors
- District 6 Director
- District 7 Director
- District 8 Director and Co-Director at 9:49 A.M.
- Legal Counsel at 9:17 A.M.
- DNR Representative
- FTA Representative
- NTA Representative
- BTC Coordinator
- MOHA Representative
- Souvenirs Coordinator
- MTA Webmaster
- MTA Magazine at 9:20 A.M.
Approval of the August 1st, 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes.
- District 7 Director motioned to approve the board meeting minutes as written. District 5 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
- Treasurer Report: The Treasurer gave her report on the current financials of the organization and answering questions from the board.
- District 7 Director motioned to approve the financial statements as presented to the board. District 3 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
- Membership Report: The Membership Coordinator submitted his report to the Board of Directors. The MTA has a slight incline in members within the organization currently.
- Sustaining Donor: The Sustaining Donor Coordinator submitted a report on patches sold for 2019.
- District 7 Director motioned to continue the Sustaining Donor Program. District 6 Director seconded the motion. District 7 Director amended his motion for the funds to be used for advertising and promotion of the MTA and District 6 Director seconded, motion approved.
- Trapper/Youth Education: The Trapper Education Coordinator submitted a report on status of traffic taking the program and program supplies.
- District 5 motioned to approve the purchase of 500 new binders needed for the program. District 1 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
- Tanned Fur: The Tanned Fur Coordinator submitted a report on his position and the current progress of the program.
- District Reports:
- District 1 Director motioned to up the MTA’s sponsorship level to $5,000 for the Alexandria Youth Outdoor Activity Day in 2020. District 8 Director seconded the motion, motion passed.
- DNR Report: The DNR Representative gave a report on the current activities within the DNR. There was discussion on the Bridger 155 body gripping trap and future training for the Conservation Officers on how to measure a body gripping trap.
- Souvenirs: The Souvenir Coordinator gave his report on his position and the current MTA inventory that is in stock.
- Magazine: The Magazine Editor reported on current status on quarterly MTA magazine and there was discussion on deadline dates for reports.
- Webpage: The Webmaster presented her report to the Board on the current status of the Webpage.
- Legal Counsel: Gary Lestico updated Board on the Delisting of the Wolf and that there was 863,000 comments during the public comment period.
- District 8 Director motioned to retain Lobbyist Tim Spreck as our own Lobbyist with no affiliation with any other trapping organization. District 4 Dirctor seconded the motion. District 8 Director amended his motion to retain Tim Spreck for $12,500 to lobby for the MTA and no other trapper associations. District 4 Director agreed to the amendment. Motion passed by a 7 yea to 1 nay vote.
- MOHA: The MOHA Representative reported on plans for Trapper Day at the Capital for 2020.
- NTA: The NTA Representative reported on current activities going on at the national level.
- FTA: The FTA Representative reported on current activities and that there is currently of 90 FTA Affiliations nationwide.
- Winter Meeting: The Vice President gave a brief update on the Winter Meeting.
- Education Raffle: The Education Raffle Chair reported there was over 68,000 tickets sold for the 2019 raffle. Bids for the four wheeler and incentive traps were presented. Options for the fur blanket were discussed. Raffle chair made a request to stress to all member to return all unsold tickets.
- District 7 Director motioned to accept the bid from Mies Outland for a 2020 Polaris Sportsmen 570 for $6,000. District 5 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
- District 2 Director motioned to accept the bid for the incentive traps as submitted by MTP. District 3 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
- Legal Defense: Legal Defense Chair reported on progress for donations for prizes and status on upcoming banquet.
- Facebook: District 7 Director gave a brief report on the MTA new Facebook Page. At this time there’s currently 800 people who have liked this page so far in the short amount of time it has been up and running.
- 2 day convention: Discussion on a possibilities of a 2 day convention and polling of the vendors on their preference. District 7 reported on daily attendance at 2019 convention.
- Trapper apprenticeship: Discussion on what it will take to have a trapper apprenticeship to be similar to the hunter apprenticeship.
- Research: Discussion on some research that may require some of our help on trapping coyote with cable restraints. Researching how the canines travel through urban corridors. Research on the long tailed weasel and short tailed weasel.
- District 5 Director motioned to adjourn the Board of Directors meeting. District 6 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
Adjourned at 3:51 P.M.
Special Conference Call for Board of Directors
Date: December 3, 2019 at 6:00 P.M.
Special Conference Call for Board of Directors called to order at 6:00 P.M.
· President – Todd Roggenkamp· Vice President – Duane Schmitz· Treasurer- Brenda Jindra· District 1 Director – John Backman· District 2 Director – Steve Phalen· District 3 Co-Director- Eric Maijala· District 4 Director- Tom Boser· District 5 Co-Director – Pete Jonas· District 6 Director – Andy Shoemaker· District 7 Director – Brian Fischer· District 8 Director – Brad Wrobbrock· Legal Counsel – Gary Leistico
Call to order: 6:03 pm
Legal Counsel stated a quorum was present.
A. Review of contract to hire Tim Spreck as MTA Lobbyist for 2019-2020.
· District 1 Director motioned to approve contract for $15,000 to hire Tim Spreck solely as MTA Lobbyist. District 6 Director seconded motion. Motion approved.
Discussion and input was given from BOD regarding how to fund this position moving forward. Several ideas were put forth on different ways to increase revenue or cut expenses to help with being able fund this position in the future. It was agreed this would be brought back to the BOD at the next BOD meeting for more discussion on how to proceed.
President Roggenkamp thanked all for their time.
· District 8 Director motioned to adjourn the Board of Directors conference call. District 7 Director seconded the motion, motion approved.
Meeting adjourned at 6:38 P.M.